We heavily do research on waterways before we take the time to try a new paddle. For such a long time Paddling Southern Wisconsin by Mike Svob was so heavily relied on that people just call it “the book”. You could say something like “We’re paddling mile 3-9 on page 20 of the book” and friends would know what you are talking about.
Luckily there are more resources available on the internet and new books.
So before the others – we still thank Mike Svob and continue to review the suggestions.
Here are some primary resources we use:
- USGS for water levels
- Wisconsin DNR
- Paddling Southern Wisconsin, “the book” by Mike Svob
- Canoeing and Kayaking Southern Wisconsin, Timothy Bauer’s book
- wisconsinrivertrips.com – nice photos, videos and maps
- milespaddled.com website
- riveralliance.org – their sponsored outings sparks ideas
- Friends of Turtle Creek (map)
- Rock River Trail
- paddle Wisconsin
- Lower Wisconsin River Paddle Planner – by length time to paddle (includes maps)
- We have a new page for internet recon we started during the 2020 pandemic. Places we might try in the future.
- … and many more …